Saturday, October 16, 2010

Refried Bean Enchiladas

I wasn't planning on posting this because it's an adaptation of a recipe I've made so many times before on here, but then two of my co-workers threatened to steal my leftovers at lunch. It's also nothing short of comfort food for me. The most time intensive part of this recipe is making the corn tortillas. The recipe I used came off of the bag of corn flour I had sitting in my cabinet (200g corn flour + 100g wheat flour + 1 cup warm water, combine, let rest for 30 minutes, then make 8 tortillas). You can use store-bought, but I think they're better fresh. While the dough is resting, you have plenty of time to make the salsa, grate the cheese, and unload the dishwasher. Ideally, I suppose you would make your own refried beans, but I've never been completely happy with mine and have had a can sitting in my cabinet for entirely too long. Is it odd that I had everything on hand to make this recipe except the cheddar cheese?

Refried Bean Enchiladas

Ingredients
8 corn tortillas (homemade or bought)
1 recipe tomatillo sauce (or 2 cups of your favourite sauce from the store or chili gravy)
1 can refried beans
3 cups grated cheddar cheeses (I used an aged white cheddar)

1. Preheat the oven to 450F.
2. Heat the tortillas one at a time in a small skillet. Keep them wrapped in a cloth until all 8 are heated.
3. Pour 1/2 cup of tomatillo sauce in a baking pan.
4. Take a tortilla, put 1 - 2 tbsp of refried beans and 1 - 2 tbsp of cheese in the center and roll it (basically as much as you can and still roll it).
5. Place rolled tortilla in baking dish, seam side down.
6. Continue with remaining tortillas.
7. If you have refried beans left over, spread it over the tortillas. Take remaining tomatillo sauce, and pour it over the rolled tortillas.
8. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly, cheese is melted, and dish is heated through. (If you like a slightly browned top, you can also turn the broiler on for a minute or two.)

No comments:

Post a Comment