Friday, January 1, 2010

Corn and Black Bean Tamale Pie

I ended up picking up a few cookbooks while I was in Texas for the holidays, so this is the first post that doesn't include an online link!

The original recipe uses 4 ears of fresh cooked corn and suggests pureeing the kernels.  I don't mind the texture of corn, so I decided to skip that step and just use a large can or corn.  Additionally, the recipe calls for 1 can of diced green chilies.  The market near me does not carry these, so I substituted a couple tablespoons of diced pickled jalapenos.  The recipe also notes that masa harina can be found in the flour section of your local supermarket.  This is not true in Montreal!  You can, however, find masa mix at specialty stores or usually you can find some corn flour at the corner store.

I also ended up using a Dutch oven to cook it in as my other baking dishes were taken.  Because the dish was narrower, I created 2 layers of beans and cheese.

Corn and Black Bean Tamale Pie (from Stop and Smell the Rosemary: Recipes and Traditions to Remember)

Ingredients

1 can corn
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup masa harina
1 can cream corn
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drains
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tomato puree
2 tbsp diced jalapenos
2 cups shredded Cheddar (225g)

1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray a 7x11 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine corns, vegetable stock, masa, baking powder, and butter in a large bowl.  Set aside.
3. Combine black beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, tomato puree, and jalapenos in a large bowl.
4. Spread 2/3 of masa corn mixture in bottom of prepared baking dish.  Layer bean mixture and then the cheese.  Top with remaining masa corn mixture.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.  If desired, serve with green or red sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Just made this tonight, but subbing in some things had in my pantry. I made the masa part with one cup masa, the drained liquid from my can of unsalted corn, brought up to one cup with homemade broth, and half of the corn. For the filling, I sauteed onions, carrots, garlic, green bell pepper, tomatoes, the remaining corn, cumin, homemade taco seasoning, lots of oregano, celery salt, sea salt. I layered half the bottom with the masa mixture, topped with all the bean mixture, one cup of shredded cheese, and then the rest of the masa. Baked up so nicely. It yasted so good, I ate two slices! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete