Saturday, December 19, 2009

Arugula and Cheese Pseudo-Frittata

Weekend breakfast is an ongoing experiment.  I wasn't in the mood today to bake muffins or scones and I was lacking the ingredients for a decent Tex-Mex breakfast (how did I run out of cheddar? and when did I stop keeping meat in the apartment?).  I turned to epicurious in search of inspiration.  I've never made a frittata before, but it sounded good.  The only problem was I only had two eggs and my smallest skillet would make a rather sad frittata with only two eggs, so I turned it into a baked egg dish instead (I'm beginning to think I need to pick up some ramekins after Christmas as I've fallen in love with the individual sized dishes).

I didn't have fontina cheese on hand, but I did have some leftover cheese (St. Aubin) from an evening of baguette and cheese.  The reviews also stated the dish lacked flavour and I wanted to add more vegetables.  Unfortunately, I haven't been stocking my kitchen this week with all of the holiday craziness, so I opted for some sun-dried tomatoes that I had in the fridge.  A little meat in this would probably also be amazing.  Finally, I wanted super fluffy eggs, so I added in some cream and milk (no half-and-half in the fridge).  For seasoning, I mixed in some garlic powder, onion powder, and italian herb mix with the eggs.

My version of the recipe below!

Arugula and Cheese Pseudo-Frittata (inspired by epicurious)

Ingredients

arugula
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp heavy cream
cheese, rind removed, cut into cubes
chopped sun-dried tomatoes

1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Brush a small, individual sized baking dish with olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning.  Stir in cheese cubes.
3. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with arugula.  Top with sun-dried tomatoes or other meat and vegetables of choice.  Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
4. Pour egg mixture into the baking dish.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until eggs have puffed and are fully cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment